Friday, August 31, 2007

Tattoo musing

My friends know by now that I am fascinated by the tattoo movement in the US. My interest has peaked with my new job in a younger, hipper, tattoo ridden environment. I strive to understand what motivates people to get tattoos and specifically what motivates them to choose the tattoo they choose.

In talking with my dear, younger friend Jenn (she is in the tattoo age bracket), we try to make sense of the craze.

We were discussing one of my recent tattoo sightings: I saw a girl with a tattoo of a bunny in a wagon being pulled by a bike. It was on her ankle! What does that mean???? On her other ankle was a skull!

Then she shares that her husband (a guy in her same tattoo age bracket - but obviously not as level headed) has a "warrior" tattoo. Her husband is from Guam, so I ask the logical question: "Is he some kind of Guamanian Warrior and is this a tribute to his culture?"

HA! At this point she busts a gut laughing and explains "He's no Guamanian Warrior, he got the tattoo when he was 18 and he thought it looked cool.....I just think it looks like the female reproductive system"!

That's when I busted a gut laughing!

No comments: