- Splash of olive oil or water
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 16 oz. mushrooms (two 227mg packages or about 2 cups) chopped
- 1 cup veggie broth and a big splash or two of red wine
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml/1 ¾ c)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce (or a mixture of both)
- Smoked or hot paprika and salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp. flour (divided)
- Heat oil or water and cook onions until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook on medium heat until moisture has evaporated (7-10 min.).
- Reduce heat and add 2 Tbsp. flour; then add 1 cup of the coconut milk, stirring constantly.
- Add bay leaves and broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in last ¾ cup of coconut milk, Worcestershire (or soy), pepper, salt, paprika. Turn heat to medium and add 1 Tbsp. flour and whisk.
- Add more flour if you want the sauce to be thicker.
This is a recipe that my friend Susan makes and then dehydrates to take backpacking. It's so good at home that I might need to get a dehydrator to take it on a trip!