Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sabbatical 2013 - Wander Woman's Tour

Quick update on my sabbatical:  Jim, Grace, me and the dogs have been exploring the eastern side of the Sierras for 7 days. We have lots of great pics that I will post once I get back to civilization (I am posting this from the pontoon boat parked at a campsite using Jim's phone as a hot spot), but here are some highlights:

1.   I taught Grace how to play cribbage and after only a couple games, she started giving me a run for my money!

2.  We got lost on dirt roads driving from Hawthorne NV back to Bridgeport. What should have taken 30 minutes took over three hours and wreaked havoc on my truck as we plowed thru brush.

3.  MasterCard fraud control called and someone stole our credit card number, leaving us with no credit card for the rest of our trip.  Some jerk was trying to use it in New York at a liquor store.

4.  Hawthorne NV where Jim's mom grew up is a hell hole. But we talked to some really nice ladies at the museum who found a bunch of info on Jim's grandmother.

5.   I completed one of my sabbatical goals- to put my feet on the Pacific Crest Trail!

6.  Grace mountain biked "like a boss" down Mammoth Mountain - with only minor scrapes on her knees!

7. Jim can truly fix anything... The radio and all sound in the truck went out and he traced it to a blown fuse in the amp!

8.  Found a super cool un named lake down a dirt road that we kayaked in and caught trout!

9. Visited the old cemetery in Aurora NV which was an old mining town and bought a fascinating book on the history of the town, which we read at nite by the camp fire.

10. Did some awesome hikes where we saw beaver ponds, a badger, groves of quaking aspens and awesome waterfalls.


More to come later!

No comments: