Thursday, October 20, 2011

Root Canal?

I had a crown prep about 2 weeks ago because of a fractured tooth. The dentist thought it was the best case scenario because is looked like the nerve was not involved. So I was sent home for two weeks to wait for my permanent crown.

Things did not go as expected and I have been taking advil every 4 hours for the last two weeks to manage the achy pain. I was hoping that the pain would subside.

Today I went in for the placement of the permanent crown. Based on the pain, the Dentist thinks I will need a root canal, but was willing to give it another month with the permanent crown on - glued with temporary cement mixed with anesthetic to calm the nerve. Sometimes the mixture of the permanent crown with the anesthetic calms the nerve down.

Sounded like a good plan....until I got into the procedure to place the permanent crown! Because of the achiness I already had, it was like torture! And it took an hour to get the crown seated properly. I left the dentist office after an hour and was totally traumatized. I felt beat up!

So now....wait a month and see what happens. If it gets worse, I have a referral for a root canal. If it gets better, I do a happy dance!

No comments: