Saturday, December 30, 2017

Sushi Time!

The fish!

This will forever be known as the Xmas of the sushi debacle!

We decided that it would be great fun to have a make your own sushi nite over Xmas break and set about to making it happen.  I started gathering all the supplies, such as wasabi, furiake, seaweed wrappers, sesame seeds and sushi rice.  Jim set about sourcing the fish.  He found a place in San Diego that overnighted sushi grade fish.

He placed a large order and waited for it to arrive on the next day, a Friday, which was 3 days before Xmas and the day before we headed to the cabin.  Friday morning comes and the shipping company calls him and says that the order was labeled incorrectly as for being for a business and was set aside for a Monday delivery!  That was way too late so we headed down to Fed Ex to pick up up. 

FAIL!

The fish was in a bin at the bottom of a stack of bins and would not be unloaded until 4 am.  So the Fed Ex guy said he would pull the fish for us so we could pick it up on Saturday morning and then head to the cabin with it.

FAIL!

Instead of being pulled, it was put on a truck for delivery!  Which is a problem because our Fed Ex deliveries usually arrive at about 8 pm.

So G and I headed for the cabin and the boys stayed behind to wait for the sushi.  Luckily I got a text from a neighbor that a package arrived on our doorstep at about 1:30 pm, while the boys were at lunch with Big Dan.  My neighbor grabbed the package to store it in a cool place until the boys could get back and get it --- it would be a disaster if the fish thawed!

They finally got the fish and headed for the cabin, arrive at 7 pm!



The next debacle was the soy paper wrappers.  I had ordered them from Amazon to be delivered to the cabin but they had failed to arrive on time.  I got a call on Sunday morning from our local post office who said I had a package and could pick it up there.  YAY!  Wrappers!  Unfortunately I celebrated too early because when I opened the package, it was hot flash medicine!   LOL!  So I set about searching out where the package of wrappers were delivered and found then in our mailbox.  YAY - sushi nite is ON!


Next debacle....the sushi rice!  I followed the recipe from the Sushi for Dummies book and it left me with crunchy rice.  Luckily I saved it by adding more water and cooking it longer.


Finally we could get to the task at hand - rolling our own sushi.  We set out all the supplies and rolled like mad.  G and I made a bunch of veggie rolls while the boys made the fish rolls.


The grandpas sat on the couch and watched football while Grandpa Tom took care of Paisley.




It was an enormous feast!

Everyone had a great time and enjoyed sampling all the different types of sushi, the miso soup and the tempura.

My new sushi plates and bowls
Grandma Kathy made the tempura


No comments: