Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Farewell Large Marge

Marge on the right, a piece of regular fat (AKA her baby) on the left

A couple months ago, I noticed a lump on my clavicle.  After (1) a few days of worry because the location of the lump could have meant something very bad; (2) three doctors opinions and (3) an ultrasound, it was determined that I had a lipoma, which is a fatty tumor. 

The docs said ignore it unless it does something weird like grows really fast or starts to hurt.  That sounded like a good plan to me.

Until... 3 weeks later I looked at it and it had about doubled in size!  That's when we started calling her "Large Marge"!

I contacted my doc, who then sent me to a surgeon.  I met with the surgeon, who seemed downright giddy at the opportunity to remove Marge.


Today was the big day to say goodbye to Marge.  It was a quick procedure to cut out Marge under local anesthetic.  I got a bunch of layers of stitches and Marge was sent out to a lab to be checked out.  Luckily no one seemed concerned as Marge was a "classic lipoma".

You can see in the pic that there is a little piece of fat off to the side.  The surgeon was not sure if that was part of the lipoma or not so to be safe, he took it out.  The surgeon called her Marge thru the whole procedure.  He even gave a summary at the end saying "that Marge is gone and behaved well during the procedure"!

Goodbye to Marge...it was nice knowing you.

No comments: