Sunday, July 05, 2015

In other 4th of July news....

Uncle B and the sumo chickens!

We got a total late start of 4th of July festivities due to our emergency vet trip and I was on dog duty all day but there was still some fun to be had! 

Before the illness, we had an elaborate plan on when we would be at the lake playing on the boat and when we had to come home in order to start the bbq and get back to the lake in enough time for the fireworks.  Since I was now home watching Daisy, there was no rush to get back to the cabin to start dinner because I was there to do it!  However, I do not bbq, nor do I cook meat.  So I needed a whole lesson before they left and then it was my job to do the beer can chicken!  And boy did I do a stellar job - see pic above of my sumo wrestling chickens!

4th of July feast!

Word on the street is the chicken was YUMMY!   But I wish there was a camera watching me try to bbq it!  I was disgusted at the whole chicken and having to stand it up on a beer can and balance on the bbq.  I was doing everything with minimal touching of the chicken...which lead to some leaning and laying down chickens!  I finally got them propped up and cooking....with a lot of utensils...and they were scarfed up for dinner.


Happy 50th birthday - a little early

After dinner we did an early celebration of Jim's 50th birthday with some peach cobbler and gifts!  We got him a drone, which we area all fired up about.  We can't wait to use it at Cherry and use it to fly out over the canyon behind the cabin.  Grandma Anna got him a Panama Jack hat which led to all kinds of silliness!

Jim's new drone

After dinner and birthday celebrating, everyone (except for me and Grace) went down to the boat to watch the fireworks.  Grace and I stayed home to watch Daisy and to tag team Ahi and Daisy who are terrified of the fireworks!  Before the fireworks started, I turned on the dishwasher, the air conditioner, the radio and the tv.  It was a fine idea but it did not work - they immediately heard the fire works thru all the background noise!  Poor Daisy Mae - she was already such a mess from her bug bite trauma and then she was a nervous wreck from the fireworks.  

View from the boat while waiting for fireworks

So -- what could have turned out to be an epically bad day, turned out to be a good one.

No comments: