Wednesday, October 01, 2014

What we want for our children


When talking about our kids, I often sit and listen to parents who lament about colleges, grades, internships, success in sports or extracurricular interests and I always feel a little on the edge of the conversation.  I always feel that I have different ideas of what constitutes success for my kids than a lot of other parents have.  And most of the time I don't verbalize my ideas because they really are not very mainstream.

Today I came across a statement that captures my thinking.  Basically it says,

Don't put so much focus on momentary successes but rather focus on ensuring our children experience genuine love; feel true joy; have peace in their hearts; possess the ability to act with self-control; and treat others with patience, kindness, goodness, and gentleness. 

Grades will soon be a memory, a win on the field will make us feel good for a short time but genuine love, a sense of personal peace and always acting with integrity and goodness will serve you well your whole life.

No comments: