Monday, October 20, 2014

Concussion

Grace took a knee to the back of the head while playing goalie yesterday and came out of the game with a concussion.

She went down and didn't move for a couple seconds and I knew something was more serious then normal.  We have a doc on the team who went down to the field first and while she continued to lay there I decided it was time for the mama to show up on the scene.

By the time I got down there she was getting up and walking off the field.  I asked the doc if she was oriented and she said yes.  I asked Grace if she lost consciousness - no.  I asked Grace if she knew what day it was - Sunday.  The doc asked if she knew the score of the game - 1 to 0.  I would have failed because I thought it was tied 1 to 1!

She sat down and we continued to check her out.  She for sure had a concussion.  She watched the rest of the game from the side lines and then we went home and watched her closely for symptoms.  She had headache, nausea, cognitive fogginess.  I checked on her in the middle of the nite and her nausea was gone but she was having trouble sleeping.

Today her headache is a little better but she is foggier and dizzy.

We are following the latest concussion protocol - resting the brain.  That means no electronics, tv, phone, reading or studying.

We will also keep her out of PE and soccer for at least a week.

No comments: