Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A weekend in Illinois

We spent the weekend in Illinois for my Aunt's "surprise" 50th Birthday Party. "Surprise" is in quotes because she is the last of 5 sisters to turn 50 and there has been a surprise party for all of them. So, she has been waiting for the last month for the "surprise" to occur. She said she was so happy that is is finally over because her eyes hurt from looking all over the place for her sisters -- she said she looked at the grocery store, at a neighbors bonfire -- everywhere she went for the past month! We did the official surprise at the dog park on Saturday moring. Our whole family was scattered all around the dog park and she spotted two of my aunts before she even got out of the car! Her husband told here it wasn't them and that she was crazy! But then we sent Drew and Gracie up to her and she knew we were all there!

After the "surprise" we went to my Aunt Rosemary's house for a delicious cookout. Her yard was beautiful and the food was wonderful.

In the middle of the party I realized I had left my camera on the table at the dog park. So one of my Uncle Jim's (I have five Uncle Jims!) drove me out to look for it - no luck - it was gone with a weeks worth of vacation pics on it - including the ones of my Dad with a gold medal. The next morning my Aunt Maureen put out a lost camera sign and by noon someone called who had it. It was an 80 year old man whose life is the dog park - he goes a couple times a day! My Aunt packed up a plate of cookies for the man and one of my other Uncle Jims went over to pick it up! That is proof that there is good in the world!

All in all, it was great weekend - we felt so fortunate to be able to be visiting with family - especially by grandparents who are 83/84/84 and 92!!!

No comments: