Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The ladies...


This picture cracks me up. It reminds me of a formal portrait...of chickens. They are all posed in perfect positions. In case you don't remember, Maverick is red, Rowdy is tan and Betty is black and white.

We have been experiencing some significant chicken issues. You see....our egg production has dropped to one egg a day. That is one egg total - not one egg per chicken. I was consistently getting 3 eggs a day. The ladies are too young to have their egg production fading, so I started doing some research and I think I might have found the answer.

I think they have been eating too many chicken "snackies". They are like little kids, if they fill up on low nutrition junk food, then they don't eat enough of the good stuff at their meals. And when they don't eat enough high protein layer crumble, then they stop producing as many eggs.

It has been a week since I figured this out and they have not had any snacks unless they are high protein (eggs, meat) or unless they have found them around the yard (our cherry tree is dropping cherries and they LOVE them!). So far we have had a couple of days this week where we have harvested 2 eggs. So the scientific experiment will continue for a few weeks so we can see if we can get back to 3 eggs a day. If not....it is to the frying pan with them! Just kidding!

No comments: