Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Every Child Suceeding

Remember when Grace won the award at school a couple months ago?

One of the kids who also won an award was totally inspiring to me.  She had bounced around foster homes and had spent the 6th grade at the school where she won this award.  The staff at the school was super impressed with how well she has done with the adversity that she has faced.

Her story made me think about how fortunate Grace is to have the incredible support from her teacher, her parents, her educational therapist, her grandparents and her friends.  About how we are so lucky to have the money to get her the extra help that she needs and how she doesn't have any worries other than school.

It also made me reflect on random acts of kindness and how I could make a difference in this girl's life.

So I decided to find a way to give her a gift to celebrate her hard work.  I worked with the principal of her school to give her $100 and the following note:

Serena,

Our family was at the "Every Child Succeeding" award ceremony and your story of success inspired all of us.

Although you don't know us, we wanted you to know that we are wishing you success and happiness in life.  And we wanted to share with you our favorite quotes that we use to keep us focused on what is important:

"Only compare yourself to yourself."

and

"Never, never, never give up."

Whenever things get tough, remember these sayings.  And remember that people you don't even know are rooting for you!

Please use this money to get yourself something to celebrate your success!

All the best!


The second part of this story is that I mentioned Serena to a friend at work and she wanted in on the random act of kindess too.

So she put together a note, $50 and a gold bracelet for Serena!

I am taking the package to Serena's school today.  I told the principal that the only think I wanted it return was for her to let me know about Serena's reaction.  So stay tuned! 

And....practice random acts of kindness....big or small....it's good for the world!

No comments: