Monday, January 14, 2008

Near Miss

I can not believe I forgot to blog about this....

I have been griping recently that we spent $1074 in the last month on fuel for our two trucks! That is really sick! That is a lot of money just to move around. But it does include a couple trips to the cabin, which includes trips into Yosemite. So, I started thinking about the trade off of getting a third vehicle - one to drive around town and keep the beasty Tahoe for trips to the cabin or pulling boats. I was thinking of leasing a little VW Bug or even researching a hybrid.

But this weekend changed my mind in one split second. Gracie and I were on the way to her basketball game and were stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left. I was distracted when the light turned green, so I did not go right away (I was pointing out to Gracie that the time was 1234 - 12:34). It is a good thing because once I started going, a car ran the red light coming from our left at about 50 MPH! We missed being hit be a few feet. The car never even slowed down! If I had gone right when the green light turned, we would have been crushed - and the hit would have occurred on our side of the truck.

If we were hit, I would rather have been in my rig then in a VW Bug. So I am now happily paying for my fuel and calling it life insurance.

No comments: