Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Cost of Feeding a Family

There have been all kinds of studies about how it is cheaper to eat fast food then it is to eat fresh healthy food. If that is the case, I need to consider getting an extra job because my family eats a huge amount of fresh food and it is costing me a fortune.

The other night, I had $350 of groceries delivered by Safeway (this is the greatest thing ever and I highly recommend it). In order to make room for all the new fruit, I cut up all the fruit that we currently had in the house. It was:

* One pound of strawberries
* A big honeydew melon
* 4 apples and a peach that I made into applesauce

I left it all on the counter and thought we would munch on it for a little while and then put it in the fridge for the kids to use in their lunch the next day. HA! Who was I kidding!?!?!

Within 45 minutes it was ALL gone and Gracie had added a green apple with carmel dip to the menu!

I would like to say that this was unusual for us - but it was not! Our kids eat a tremendous amount of fruits and veggies. Honestly (don't tell anyone) I sometimes suggest some junk food because I think anymore fruit is going to give them the runs!

No comments: