Saturday, August 05, 2006

A call from the Coast Guard

We got one of those calls tonite that makes your stomach drop. Jim was out fishing for tuna - 61 miles offshore and at 7:30 pm , I get a call from the SF Coast Guard station! Drew and Bean (Jim's cousin who is staying with us) were on the edge of their seats while I was talking to the Coast Guard. (Bean's boyfriend, Richard was with Jim.) My first thought was that the boat had sunk and they had been rescued and I had to go get them at some hospital. I was not worried about them being lost at sea because Jim has all the emergency gear created. They only thing I think could actually kill them out there is being run over by a freighter or hit my a meteor. They have radar so a freighter hit is unlikely. And I am not really concerned about a meteor.

It was none of those things.

Jim was incredibly responsible and called the Coast Guard to tell them to call me and let me know that they were running late and were still 55 miles out. That was a great move on his part so that his wife would not worry and so his kids saw their dad modeling responsible, respectul behavior!!

Once he got close enough for cell reception he called and told me they got 9 tuna!

No comments: