Friday, September 12, 2014

Family Sayings - Bacon Bacon Parkway

I listened to a bit on the radio today about funny sayings you have in families or workplaces and it made me think of the funny sayings we have in our family.  Probably one of the most bizarre is the use of the phrase "bacon bacon parkway" to describe hot weather.

This is the way it came about:

We were in Kentucky visiting relatives in July when it is hotter than hell.  One of our relatives told us to drive on Blanken Baker Parkway - but with his Kentucky accent we kept thinking he was telling us to take Bacon Bacon Parkway.  And for some reason since it was so hot in Kentucky the term "bacon bacon parkway" came to stand for "it's hotter than hell outside".

This is a typical use:

I come home from work and while driving home I see the thermometer on my car to be 100 degrees.  I get home, walk thru the front door and declare, "dang, its bacon bacon parkway out there!"  Everyone agrees and we discuss how hot it was where everyone was that day.

No comments: