Friday, April 04, 2014

A mother's love for her son....

The last few days have been very emotionally taxing and I was not expecting it.

The journey from kindergarten thru high school has been a long road - for me and for Drew.  My job was to support and push and advocate for him and I did the very best I could every minute of everyday.  His job was to learn and grow and mature.  And although I was always hard on him, he did his best and in the end did a tremendous job.

I liken this journey to running a marathon.  It has been a 13 year education marathon and we have crossed the finish line together.  Next up is the 5k called college. And that race will be his alone to run.  I will be there on the sidelines cheering for him but it won't be my 24 hour/7 day a week job anymore.

I have spent a lot of the the last 3 weeks reflecting on a mother's love for her son and that reflection was so timely given this last two days of college selection.

My reflection started with the birth of baby William and watching Mari's commitment to him.  I felt that it was so ironic that Mari was ushering her baby boy into this world and I was ushering mine out onto his own.

I think about the hopes that Mari has for William and reflect back to my hopes for Drew when he was a baby.  And I realize those hopes and dreams have and are materializing before my very eyes.  My baby boy has grown into the kind, happy, respectful young man I had so hoped he would be.

No comments: