Tuesday, March 18, 2014

National Transit Driver Appreciation Day

You have all heard of my fondness for the giant purple bus, right?  Well, what I don't talk about is my fondness for the bus driver.  Vicky is our amazing bus driver.  She works super hard every day moving us safely to and from work.  She has to deal with some of the worst traffic in the country and she manages it with ease and professionalism.  Plus she is a darn nice person.

I chatted with her last week about her job and learned that she has been driving for 15 years and works a split shifts - 3ish hours in the morning commute and 3ish hours in the evening commute.  I asked her if she liked her work and she said she would like to do something else but she doesn't have any other skills.  She said that it is not that she doesn't like it but that it is very stressful!

I hope the gift that the passengers got her today for Transit Driver Appreciation Day will help her get some relief from stress.  We took up a collection and raised $150!  $50 in a Macy's gift card and $100 in a Visa gift card.

Thank you Vicky!

No comments: