Thursday, April 23, 2009

Calories

As you all know, I work out like a dog and always have. Normally I work out 5 or 6 days a week and do both cardio and weight training. Which sounds great --- but on that schedule, I still gain weight. So after just realizing I have gained 2 pounds since October, I decided I needed to do something about it.

So I have been carefully tracking my calorie intake and my workouts. I have upped my workouts to 2 or 3 times a day and I keep my calories around 1500 calories a day. A normal person would loose about 2 pounds a week doing that ---but not me -- I lose a little less than a pound a week doing this regimen! It's crazy but I have come to accept this fact and just resign myself to having to do it occasionally. Plus I get the added benefit of being in pretty darn good shape after spending a month working out like this.

Anyway....one of the things I am doing to track calorie intake is using a website called sparkpeople. You put in exactly what you eat and it calculates the calories. So the kids have been watching me do this and we have been having great conversations about calories, balanced diets, etc. So a couple days ago, Drew says, "put my food in the tool so that I know how many calories I ate today". So I started inputting: bagel egg and cheese sandwich, hamburger, curly fries, mac and cheese, skittles candy, sausages, pasta pesto, wild rice.... And at the end of the day, he had consumed 3000 calories! And the thing was, he didn't even eat as much as normal that day. I bet a normal day of calories for him is more than 3x the calories I eat! Amazing!

No comments: