Wednesday, April 29, 2009

30 pounds?

Yesterday Auntie Deb and I went hiking for one hour with our packs filled in an effort to get in shape for the backpacking trip. As I had posted before, we weigh our packs on a hanging scale in the garage. Remember...I stuffed mine full of towels, water bottles and a bible (giggle). So I thought it weighed about 15 pounds. And went off on my hike. I did well, but the front of my toes hurt - which I thought was weird.

When Jim comes home from work, he wants to check out my pack. He picks it up and says - "this isn't 15 pounds". And I think, "oh crap, it must only be 8 pounds and I am going to have to triple the weight of what I carry!". And I think "my poor toes!"

So he takes it into the garage and weighs it.....it weighs 30 pounds!!!! Apparently, I was reading kgs not pounds! (giggle). So - I am in good shape for the trip! I walked about 8 miles yesterday in about 2 hours with about 4 of those miles with 30 pounds on my back. I think I can make 11 miles in one day with no problem....although my toes might hurt.

Stay tuned for the continueing tales of The Dorks go Backpacking!

No comments: