Thursday, May 01, 2008

Finding inspiration

I had a very powerful experience this morning.

I have not been blogging much recently because my time has been consumed by learning about dyslexia and strategizing about how to move forward with Gracie. Those who know me well, are not surprised. I approach a challenge by gathering data and plowing, with all the force I can muster, forward.

One of the things I have implemented in the past few weeks is educational therapy for Gracie. Luckily more is known about dyslexia than any other learning difference. And with that knowledge comes scientifcally proven methods for teaching kids with dyslexia. So Gracie is seeing Tami, a great young gal, a couple times a week. Today was the sixth session and the first one that I sat in on. Watching the session was powerful and inspiring -- I saw how the different techniques being used were engaging for Grace and I could see her brain "getting it". Probably doesn't sound very powerful to you....but after 3 years of dealing with this situation, this is the first time that I saw the techniques using make sense to Grace! The trick is putting logic behind everything they do.

And inspiring? That kid is my inspiration....she has tried harder than any adult I know. And she has done so without complaining. She really is an amazing kid.

No comments: