Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Science Camp

I was out running this morning and realized that I have the perfect blog content....Drew is going away to Science Camp next week with his 6th grade class. He will be gone for 5 days and 4 nights.

I always thought I would be worried sick about sending him to science camp with people I don't know, but after the parents meeting last nite, I realized two things:

1. We have done a tremendous job of teaching Drew usable, worldly skills (pat myself on the back) which make him self sufficient and responsible
2. Other parents have not done such a good job with that...

Here is what I mean....

The parents and teachers talked about needing to pack the kids bags with this and that. Parents were talking about sending more than the recommended amount of clothing....just in case. They were talking about all the medications that they will send with their kids....cold medicine, advil, cortisone, cough medicine, etc.

At our house....Drew will pack his own bag. He will use the list that they give him indicating what to bring and modify based on his own preference (ie - they say to bring 5 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shorts....Drew doesn't even own 5 pairs of pants....until Sunday he owned none! So he will bring 5 pairs of shorts and 1 pair of pants.) He is not bringing a coat because he doesn't even wear one in the snow! He said he doesn't need any medications because if he gets a headache he will just tough it out. And if he gets really sick they will have to call us anyway. And if he gets really hurt the paramedics are only 5 minutes away.....which is about 3 hours faster than if he were hurt out at Cherry Lake!

Here are some of the parents crazy questions:

1. Are there bugs there?
2. If they have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, how will they know where to go?
3. What kind of animals are there? (Jim gave me an elbow when I said mountain lions....but there are!!!! I just thought these parents needed the truth....its not all Bambi and Thumper out there in the woods.)
4. One woman says..."my husband is having a really hard time with this, I don't think he will be able to sleep thru the nite...do you have any suggestions?" My answer: get the guy some anti anxiety medication and therapy so he will be ready when the kid goes off to college.
5. How dark are the cabins?

These people need to get out more.

Stay Tuned.....I am sure there will be more good stories to come.

No comments: