Thursday, December 22, 2016

Haleakala - Day 3 - Holua

The third day was wet!!!  As we left our cabin, the ranger stopped by to tell us that there was a flash flood warning and to stay out of any gullys.  I had just been contemplating putting on my rain gear but the group told me it wasn't necessary....we got about 300 feet down the path and stopped to put it on!  We hiked 6.3 miles and it was almost entirely in the pouring rain.  About mid-way thru I was so wet that my fingers were pruney.


We left the cabin at 8:30 am and arrived at the cabin at 11:45.  



I was super thankful for my walking poles on this day because we had about a mile and half through volcanic sand!  The poles helped give leverage.


As we were approaching the cabin we saw what we thought was the hike out on the mountain behind the cabin....it was switchbacks - lots of them and went right up the side of the mountain.  We spent a lot of time looking and contemplating!


We were super happy to have a cabin to go to because we were WET!  We got it warmed up from the stove and hung our wet gear everywhere.  I put on my only dry clothes and we had lunch!





Holua Cabin

wearing all my dry clothes

Lunch - hummus, blackbean/corn dip, apple and crackers

Susan relaxing

We laid around in the afternoon and Susan told us stories about her NY family


Jim and I hiked around the area and enjoyed the beauty.   There was a campground right above us and a small ranger cabin too.  We cruised around checking it all out!


There was a small cave right above the cabin

All our stuff drying

No comments: