Thursday, July 10, 2014

Safe at work

This morning on the way to the bus stop to catch the shuttle to work, I heard about an accident on Highway 17 (which is where my bus comes from) and I was thinking that my bus had probably just made it past that area if it was on time.

I was wrong. 

While waiting for the bus at the pick up stop, I got a call from the guy I gave first aid to, who was on the bus.  He reported they were stuck behind the accident and they had not moved for 16 minutes.  Darn - they had almost made it thru.

So I let the rest of the waiting crowd know the situation know and we all scattered - jumping each others cars for the ride into the office.

It is a good thing we did not wait.  The bus was stuck for 2 hours before it could turn around and go south to Watsonville, over the hill and up 101 thru Gilroy.  It took the people coming from Santa Cruz 4 hours to get to work this morning.

The accident they got stuck behind was horrific.  A big rig pulling containers of sand lost its brakes and slammed into a line of cars.  There was one fatality and 8 injuries.  The scene shows cars so mangled that you cannot tell the make or model.  I am so thankful our shuttle bus was not 30 seconds faster or they could have been involved.

No comments: