Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Positive Words

I have been thinking a lot lately about positive speaking. You know....the old adage, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

It is not always easy to do.

  • You might see someone dressed really bad and want to say....what a train wreck.
 
  • You might see someone driving like a jerk and want to say...what a dumb ass.
 
  • You might hear of someone going on vacation to a location you don't like and want to say....I hate Mexico (insert name of location you are not fond of here).

What I find is that when you say negative words like "train wreck", "dumb ass", "hate", they have an adverse effect on you and the people around you.  And I would argue that words like that have an adverse effect on the world.

I am trying to make it a point to use more positive speech because I feel that it has a positive impact on me and the people around me.   It goes along with my belief of putting positive out in the world as much as possible.  Negative brings us all down.

This must be an idea that humans have struggled with for eons because these are some old proverbs that address this idea:

"A man of knowledge uses words with restraint." 

"The words of the reckless pierce like swords"


No comments: