Sunday, August 25, 2013

Reflection

On my last day of sabbatical, I wanted to spend some time reflecting on my time off of work.  My time off was a real gift - it allowed me to do things that I have been wanting to do for a long time and it allowed me to spend a lot if time with my family and my dogs.  In reflecting back over the last two months, this is what I learned:

1.  I really like my job and the people I work with - I missed them and the work.  I feel very fortunate that I feel this way.

2.  I feel very fortunate that I have a good job with a good company and although sometimes there is politics and drama - I am so fortunate.

3.  Life needs to be put into perspective - every day - all the time.  Seriously -- don't sweat the small stuff.  If they are out of your favorite bagel at the bagel shop, there is no reason to swear and stomp away.  Really....not having the right bagel is not life threatening to anyone....get a grip and choose a different bagel.  Heck -- maybe you will find out you like it better.

4.  Be flexible.  Being flexible doesn't mean you are giving up power and letting someone else get away with something.  Being flexible is kind and allows you new experiences.

5.  Surround yourself with people who provide you with energy, joy,  love, and happiness.  If the people you hang out with don't do that, there are many others who will -- focus your energy there.

6.  My husband is awesome.  He just really is.  He is also goofy and dorky....but that is part of the awesomeness.  I am a lucky wife.

7.  I LOVED spending time with Grace this summer.  She has inherited Jim's awesomeness in so many ways.  When I imagined having a daughter when she was born, what she has become is so much better than what I imagined she would be like.  And she just gets better and better.

8.  I have loved having the time to spend with Drew and his wonderful group of friends.  I see the people that he chooses to surround himself with and I see that he has mastered #5 above....and how awesome is that?!?!?

9.  Spending time with your old doggie doing things that you both love is priceless.  And it's even nice with the little wiener side kick!

I am truly blessed to have had this experience to take some time off to recharge my soul, my mind and my body. 

Now....off to work I go.  I am ready and looking forward to it.

No comments: