Wednesday, June 27, 2012

1 Foot - 2 Foot - Red Foot - Ouchee Foot

After a year of foot pain, I finally went to the doctor yesterday.  Both my feet hurt all the time and sometimes ache so bad at nite that it wakes me up. 

My doc took a history of my activity level, examined my feet, did xrays and made the diagnosis:  I work out too much!  She thinks its simple over use.  She said I really need to cut back or do something that does not involve my feet  - the problem is, I have a bad shoulder too.  So swimming and rowing are out.

She pointed out that I am now 45 and can not do the same things I did at 20!  I bet the look on my face was priceless - because that simple statement was shocking to me!  I literally had never given thought to the idea that I can not do the same quantity of working out that I did in my 20's.

She suggested I cut back 10% and see how that effects the pain.  If that does not make a difference cut back another 10%....and keep doing that until I get to an activity level that does not cause pain.  That is a great idea but it won't work.  Walking 2 miles while on vacation for 10 days caused pain.

So.....I am doing this following:

1.  Cutting back my work outs - like today I did only one hour of cardio but did it entirely on a recumbent bike (instead of running or elliptical)  and then I skipped the 75 minute yoga class.  And I did not go for a walk last nite when I really wanted to - instead, I drove to the school and let the dogs run around there.
2.  Taking relafen - a heavy duty anti inflammatory med - and taking it early and often!
3.  Icing my feet

I will do this for a couple weeks and see if there is a difference.

No comments: