Monday, February 13, 2012

State Cup Feb 2012







Wow - what a weekend!


Most people would look at our weekend as a sum total of Gracie's team came in 2nd place in the State Cup after an intense battle that included 2 ten minute overtimes and ended in losing in penalty kicks to a team that they had just dominated for 50 minutes!


But there was so much more to it...


Grace had recently lost her soccer mojo and was just starting to get it back. AND in this game, she was on FIRE! She played with so much skill and heart that I was incredibly proud.


But she also took the loss very hard. She said it is so disappointing to play that hard for that long and then lose in penalty kicks. I don't know how that feels, so I don't have any good words of wisdom.


I was most proud of her when after losing the game, she wanted to give candy to the opposing team when they accepted their championship medals. So she set up her team to go up and shake an opposing teams player's hand and give her candy after she received her medal. True class!


All in all, there were lessons in perseverance, kindness and friendship.


And although I wanted to vomit the whole time from the stress, I am glad I was there to see the personal growth and determination in Grace. She truly rocks!

No comments: