Sunday, August 21, 2011

Small World

One of Drew's football coaches happens to be an older gentleman who was coached by Jim's grandpa in the 1950's. On Friday Jim went up to the school to introduce himself. Here is how it went down:

Jim walks into the office and the guy, Coach Hitch, is all gruff and working with the kids.

Jim looks at his desk and sees a picture of him with a winning football team from 1953. Coach Hitch sees Jim looking and says to him, "what can I help you with?"

Jim says: "Do you remember who your coach was in that picture?"

Coach Hitch says: "I sure do."

Jim says: "That was my grandfather."

Coach Hitch says: "I saw that name on the football team roster and I thought about it but then thought, no way, it couldn't be! Ninety percent of how I coach, I learned from your Grandpa."

Jim says: "Yea, I watched you coaching last week and could tell that!"

Coach Hitch was super excited to meet Jim and wanted to talk with him but it was too chaotic in the locker room. Jim said that he would come back.

What a small world and what a wonderful link to the past. Jim loved his Grandpa so much and to have someone his Grandpa coached now be in Drew's life is remarkable and truly a blessing.

No comments: