Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cabo






Gracie and went on a cruise to Cabo San Lucas for her 11th bday. I had been on a cruise once before (around the Hawaiian Islands) but Grace has not. We left from San Diego on Friday and returned on Tuesday morning. Those who know me know that cruising is not my type of vacation. I like vacations with more outdoors activities and less people. To me, a cruise ship is something like a tacky Disneyland for adults. But Grace wanted to do it and I was willing to give it a try...artly because I am tired of hearing my mom say..."you will love cruising”. So I had to try it out...with an open mind.

The food was hit or miss. We had some really good food and some that was just not very good. My very favorite thing was the melting chocolate cake which was like warm chocolate pudding and cake topped with vanilla ice cream! Gracie tried lobster and was not impressed. When your Dad catches fresh dungeness crab, a frozen lobster just is not impressive!

We did not book any excursions because we really like to manage our own risky activities, like jetskiing and atv riding! So we took a tender into Cabo and just walked around a little. It’s a beautiful marina but so commercial and irritating with pushy people selling their wares. We bought a couple trinkets for Grace to give to her friends and had lunch at Cabo Wabo Cantina (Sammy Hagar’s bar and the setting for many a country song). We took the tender back to the ship early and hung out at the pool for a few hours. It was great because most of the ship was still in Cabo. But...holy moly...when they came back...they were DRUNK! They don’t call this a booze cruise for nothing!

Gracie’s favorite part of the cruise was when we looked out our window while cruising down the coast of Mexico and saw hundreds of dolphin swimming a long the ship.

The seasickness was a constant nagging problem. It came in waves for me and Gracie both. It mostly gave Grace a headache but also made me barfy. I never barfed...but ALMOST did once on the elliptical machine in the gym. That would not have been pretty.

One of our waiters gave us brain teasers each night at dinner that we saved and share with our family when we returned! That was fun.

Overall we had a great time but I don’t think either of us will cruise again any time soon. Maybe when we are old. I got stir crazy, a little claustrophobic and barfy. And...missed my doggies.

No comments: