Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread

A friend at work just gave me some amish friendship bread starter and I am VERY excited! I had just recently been thinking about it and wondered why it was not around anymore. I bet its been 6 to 8 years since I have seen it.

For those of you who don't know, here is the story:

Amish Friendship Bread is a type of bread or cake made from a sourdough starter that is often shared in a manner similar to a chain letter.[1] The starter is a substitute for baking yeast and can be used to make many kinds of yeast-based breads, shared with friends, or frozen for future use. The sweet, cake-like Amish Cinnamon Bread is a common bread that is made from this starter; it is a simple, stirred quickbread that includes a substantial amount of sugar and vegetable oil, with a mild cinnamon flavor. It has characteristics of both pound cake and coffee cake.

A common recipe using this starter suggests using one cup (240 ml) of it to make bread, keeping one cup to start a new cycle, and giving the remaining two cups to friends. The process of sharing the starter makes it somewhat like a chain letter. One cup of starter makes one standard loaf of bread.

It is delicious! I am on day 5 of the 10 day cycle. At the end, I will have 3 starters to give away, let me know if you want some!

No comments: