Sunday, December 08, 2019

Butterhorns

This is my favorite Christmas cookie.  I call them "don't share cookies" meaning I don't give any away because I want them for myself.  I love them for breakfast and for afternoon tea time.


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup cold salted butter
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped

    INSTRUCTIONS

    1. Cut butter into flour until evenly distributed. Small chunks of butter are ok.  I soften the butter a little to make it easier.
    2. Mix egg yolk and sour cream together, then add to flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together.
    3. Divide dough into 3 equal parts, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
    4. Combine sugar, cinnamon and walnuts; set aside.
    5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
    6. Roll one portion of dough into 12-inch circle. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the sugar mix. Cut circle into 16 even wedges and roll up firmly starting with the wide end.
    7. Place on cookie sheet and space 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until delicately browned. Repeat with remaining 2 portions of dough.

No comments: