Saturday, January 20, 2018

Oh....this one.....


Recently Ahi ate Daisy Mae's pain meds.  That means a 14 pound dog took the narcotic prescribed for a 75 pound dog.  You do the math!

Luckily I realized it immediately and jumped into action.  My plan was to give her peroxide so that she would barf it up.  I called the vet to get the correct dosage and they explained that new studies are showing peroxide ingestion causes ulcers in the esophagus.   Well.....if anyone was going to end up with ulcers in the esophagus it would be Ahi!

So onto Plan B.  I rushed her to the emergency vet and they gave her meds to throw up.  Then they gave her meds to stop her from barfing.  Then they gave her charcoal to soak up the residual drugs in her stomach.

Next they wanted to keep her for 12 hours and watch her but I declined and said I would watch her at home.  I knew I had caught it so early that the barfing got 99% out of her system.  I took her home and all turned out well.

Expect for the part where it cost me $300 and I missed my Dad's birthday dinner!

No comments: