Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Point Reyes - Wildcat Camp Backpack Trip


We got lucky and got beautiful weather after 2 days of storms!    Susan (from Washington), Jim and Susan's friend from college, Liz, and I went for an overnighter at Wildcat Campground in Point Reyes National Seashore.  


It was a beautiful 5 and a half mile hike in to the campground.  It was about 70 degrees.


Susan and Liz

Reunited one year later!

Jim, me, Susan and Liz

We got to the campsite and immediately had some lunch because we never found a place to stop on the hike in.   Once we ate and set up camp, we walked down to the beach.



The waves were HUGE due to the storm we just had - we were lucky it was low tide because the beach buts right up against cliffs and if the tide was high, you couldn't have walked it.


We walked a mile down the beach to see Alamere Falls - a waterfall that lands right on the beach.   We all were greatly amused by the topless girl doing cartwheels! 



After our walk on the beach, it was time for our traditional trail tea time!  I brought banana and pumpkin bread (thanks Heather) to share!   We sat around and moved directly to happy hour (wine, dip, cheese and crackers!).  And then while we were at it, we moved right on to dinner!  The ladies and I tried a bunch of the Outdoor Herbivore foods I had ordered to try.  One was ok but one was a no go!

When having tea, a coyote walked thru camp!  And a little while later he started yipping with a bunch of his buddies!  We saw lots of wildlife: gophers, snakes, lizards and tons of birds.





After the sunset, we went down to the beach and had a bonfire!  That was such a treat for us because most places we go, fires are not allowed.


Our campsite!

Breakfast

Everything was really damp when we woke up in the morning.  But it warmed right up.


After breakfast, we took a morning walk to the bluff (about 300 yards from our campsite)!



This is where the campsites were - they are totally hidden

Susan is in the background rescuing her tent that had flown away!


We had a nice hike out until one of my shoe laces from my right boot caught on the hook of my left boot and I went down like a ton of bricks!  I landed on my knee, shoulder and hands.  I wasn't seriously hurt but I sure am sore.

Overall, it was a great trip and a place we will visit again!

No comments: