Friday, June 17, 2016

Ski Camp Update

Ski camp ended a bit early (2 days) because G fell and hit her head resulting in another concussion! UGH!  I got a call telling me she had fallen doing a trick and hit her head (she was wearing a helmet). She was dizzy, had a headache, had light and noise sensitivity, had balance issues but was oriented.

I asked that she be taken to the ER and evaluated and headed to Tahoe to meet up with her.

On the way up, I talked the the person at the camp who did the first concussion assessment twice and then talked to the ER doc twice.  ER doc said that they would not normally do a brain scan for a 16 year old female presenting with her symptoms as it seemed like a normal concussion.  But due to her history and the fact that I was going to pick her up and be driving her home for 4 hours, I wanted the peace of mind that there was no bleeding or swelling in her brain.  The doc easily agreed.

Thankfully the scan was clear so she was released from the hospital.

I got to the facility at about 3:30, loaded her up and we headed home.  She was comfortable and chatty on the way home which was a great sign.

The concussion seems to be very mild.  The headache was gone by the time we got home, although there was still evidence of balance issues.

Based on our experience, the key to this is NO more concussions for at least a year and  half....or better yet...for the rest of her life!

Grace and her concussions may be the end of me....I got 100 new grey hairs yesterday....and muttered a number of choice cuss words when I got the call from the camp!


No comments: