Wednesday, May 07, 2014

A Chance to Mentor

I talked with a gal today who was referred to me by my doctor because my doctor knows what an advocate I have been for this kids.

This gal's 11 year old daughter was just diagnosed with dyslexia and she was looking for someone to talk to.

She cried about 4 times while I was talking to her.  The first time she cried was right at the beginning when I introduced myself and said I had two kids with dyslexia-- one an 8th grader and one a senior getting ready to go to University of AZ.  The fact that I had a child with dyslexia going to the U of A made her cry because it gave her hope!

She apologized for crying and I said, "no worries....I GET IT!"  I have been there.

We had a wonderful talk and agreed to talk again.

She has the right approach, the right frame of mind and the commitment.  Her daughter will do fine - but it will be a long and sometimes difficult journey.  But the lessons she will learn from her dyslexic daughter will be worth every tear and every ounce of hard work!

No comments: