Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Fries

There is a long ongoing disagreement in our house about In-n-Out fries. I think they are nasty but the restof my family likes them (I actually think everything about In-n-Out is nasty. Today on our internal engineer alias, one of the engineers said it better than I ever could:

"In-n-out fries taste bad. They are starchy and flavorless. This is because they are doing it wrong, As you mentioned, they just cut a potato and fry it. This is because at the high oil temperature required to make the fries crispy they will burn before the inside is completely cooked. Any one who has eaten undercooked boiled or baked potatoes knows the sort of bland starchy flavor you get.

This problem is well known by everyone who make fries at home or in restaurants. I don't know how In-n-out missed the memo. When I make french fries I cut them, boil them, dry them, then fry them. The result is oh so tasty. The belgian way is to actually fry them at a low temperature to cook them through, then fry them again at a high temperature to crisp them.

Mcdonalds and other fast food fries are generally cooked before they are frozen and sent out to the restaurants. Result: they taste better.
Generally the fries you get at applebee's or chili's are also frozen, but boiled at the factory before freezing."

So happy to know that I have others on my side!

No comments: