Thursday, December 13, 2007

A turning point

Jim was on the phone to the doctor tonite trying to get antibiotics for his very obvious sinus infection. Drew called me into the family room while Jim was on the phone and asked if you could die from a sinus infection.

He has been very concerned about both his parents dieing recently. He was worried I was going to die while in surgery. He even told me before hand that he was really nervous that I would die.

Tonite, I took the opportunity to sit down and talk about his feelings and about how he seems to really worry about one of his parents dieing lately. He admitted that he does worry. I asked him if it was because one of his classmates father died about a month ago very suddenly. And he had a team mate last year who lost a dad very suddenly. And our neighbor just died. He said it wasn't because of that but he didn't know why he worried.

His next words were, "can you die from a cough", which is Jim's other main sympton.

I am realistic when I respond and say that you could die from a cough or sinus infection if you had other issues, such as a supressed immune system but that a healthy young man like his dad would not.

The whole conversation makes me sad. Sad that his young, innocent life is quickly moving behind him. Each day he moves closer to adulthood is a day with new stresses and real life worries. Soon to be gone is the carefree, naive, wonderment that only exists in childhood.

It is timely that this conversation occurred 3 days before his 12th birthday, a birthday that should be significant for him but is also turning out to be quite significant to his mother. It is the first time that it really hit me that my little boy is really growing up and soon will be a man! WOW! What a "rock your world" type of feeling that is. My baby boy is really growing up.

And, I really like who he is becoming as he grows and matures. I cross my fingers that he keeps on the path that he is on because he is really poised to grow into remarkable man.

Happy 12th Birthday Drew -- I love you!

No comments: